Monday, February 20, 2012

What we have to do for our health card when we move province to province in Canada?

Hello



My husband and I have plan to go to Montreal next Sept. He will be a student at Concordia university. We are now in Ontario and owe an OHIP card here since Nov 2007. We are Ontario resident and I know to be a Quebec resident we have to live there 12 months or so if even we wanna change our residency.



1-Can we use Ohip there?

2-If not what should we do for health? Should we pay or buy insurance?

3-Hopefully we will have a kid in March 2011 so what about child health there?



I am really concern about our health card there because by that time baby is 6 months and she needs lots of care.



Please let me know what should we do.



I am not native so please do not use slang or idioms to help me get all.

:-)))



ThanksWhat we have to do for our health card when we move province to province in Canada?Hi!



I'm not an expert but it's my understanding until you can get a valid Quebec health care card, any other provincial insurance will cover you... not a problem! And while you are correct about official "residency", that does not apply for health care. You can apply for a Quebec health care card as soon as you arrive (as long as you cancel your previous health insurance)

Here is the detailed information from the RAMQ website:

http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citoyens/assurancemaladie/arriver/autre_prov.shtml





In terms of your child, that would not be a problem at all either. They would be fully covered. Here is the information on that:

http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citoyens/assurancemaladie/parents/nouveau_ne.shtml



Hope this helps! If you ever have more questions, I am an administrator of a Facebook group called Concordia University Future Students... a great place to find answers as a new Concordia student. Check it out!



Good luck with the move!

No comments:

Post a Comment