Monday, February 20, 2012

How does having a dog benefit a child/teen?

For example, what health or behavior (or any other) benefits are there?How does having a dog benefit a child/teen?Having a dog isn't just about learning responsibility, though that is a big benefit. I got a dog for Christmas this year and all of my family has learned about responibility, but, without any regrets, the greatest benefit to us of getting a dog is the joy it brings to the family- dogs love unconditionly and mine has made me feel so special. I think it's a great benefit, for when you have a dog they make you feel so loved, admired and valuable. I think this is a benefit to children- when they have no one to play with, a dog would always keep them company. On the health side, I don't think this would be a benefit- my dog brings in things with all sorts of diseases after a walk or a play in the garden- resulting in a few severe tummy bugs!How does having a dog benefit a child/teen?
More exercise, more compassion, less selfish, more love, it benefits them a lot of ways! Also when my dog had cancer I learned a ton about medical stuff in the course of trying to treat her holistically/alternatively after the vets gave up. Having to argue my case about euthanasia (I have a flat 100% no euthanasia policy) over and over also made me realize exactly how precious life really is, and as much as I loved her before her cancer, having an animal depend on you for weeks for everything from hand feeding to repositioning and helping them go to the bathroom and cleaning/changing them afterwards will make you realize you love them so much more than you ever could have imagined loving anything. Before she was diagnosed I wouldn't have thought I could handle that, but how could I not have? I'm 19 by the way



P.S.- there's an urban legend that dogs, especially short haired chihuahuas, will draw asthma from someone and take it into themselves. It is total BS, and is based on two things-chihuahuas and some other dog breeds commonly have breathing problems like collapsed trachea; and children sometimes outgrow asthma.How does having a dog benefit a child/teen?Loads of ways! There's the obvious ones like exercise (once they've finished fighting over who's going to take it out), dogs usually require two walks a day. The longer the walks, the more benefit everyone gets (tired dog, tired but fitter kids).

You get to meet loads of different people and dogs over your local park, people will stop you in the street and ask to pet your pooch, so it's a social thing as well.

There's also the responsibility side to it. Dogs need to be walked 365 days a year, come rain, snow, cold and hot weather.
There are the obvious examples of animals teaching children responsibility, respect for animals, keeping them fit through walks etc.

But they also have a great psychological benefit. Dogs and other pets have been known to help cure depression, even help people through illnesses like cancer, and help children through major life upheavals; such as a divorce or moving home. Animals have no choice but to listen, they seek the attention a child can give them, and the child receives the unconditional love of that animal. During major life changes that animal is a constant in their lives, something they can rely on when others may be unavailable.

It's also brought our family together, we all have to chip in, be it walks, feeding, cleaning up after him. We all have to make our sacrifices.





Just adding, i feel it's incredibly important that children be around animals at a young age. My dog is a hyperactive puppy, he isn't gentle, but wouldn't deliberately hurt a fly. My next door neighbors daughter is 8 and she loves to come over and play with him. She brings random friends to meet him, and his become famous in our village. We've had kids come over and instantly burst into tears when they see him, kids refuse to get off a trampoline until he's gone. But by the time they've gone home it's like they're best friends, and they don't want to leave. Dogs aren't discriminative and love anyone even if they don't get that love back straight away. Sorry small rant!How does having a dog benefit a child/teen?A study showed that people with dogs are more likely to like longer and healthier lives. how? im not sure but if you have a dog its an everyday responsibility so your child/teen learns alot. I had numerous amount of animals when i grew up and i learnt how to be responsible and caring. I also had to put my selfish wants such as watching tv and lazing about behind walking and caring for my animals. I also learned how to treat and respect other living creatures. Everyone benefits differently from there dog but we all receive love no matter what we do. Its the feeling of giving and receiving unconditional love that's most powerful. As cheesey as it sounds thats my opinionHow does having a dog benefit a child/teen?
there are noted examples of a bullying child being given a dog while at school .the attitude changed and they stopped bullying. it was found they were lacking in parental attention and love and was a form of anger being directed at wrong areas. it is also very good at teaching caring and responsibility as well as exercise and sociability.
I'm a teenager, and I got my dog as a present on my 13th birthday.



By taking care of my dog, I've learned to be more responsible. I've learned that not everything is about me and I have to remember my dog has needs too, not just mine. I've learned to manage my money better because I partially pitch in to feed our dog, and my $20 goes a long way. I've also learned to manage my anger better, as you can't stay mad at a dog for too long.



She also teaches me to be less selfish, as I need to get up even when I don't feel like it to exercise her. I've gotten more exercise with my dog because she requires a daily walk, and if I go on the walk angry I always come back happy - gotta love those happy endorphins!How does having a dog benefit a child/teen?
I had to learn responsibility and how to care for something else. It also helps children deal with death. As for health benefits... I'm healthy because I have to walk the dog a lot? If my family didn't have dogs, I might have been one of those teens that just sit in front of the TV all day. (I'm 18 btw)

How it affects asthma and such I don't know, but apparently it helps a bit.
Pets help children to have empathy and learn responsibility. Empathy is more important. If a child doesn't develop a sense of responsibility, he may grow up to be a bum but if a child lacks empathy...you could get a monster.
yh i think so, its good to have a pet to look after it teaches them to be selfless and caring. also having a dog is a good excuse to get plenty of exercise. x
While I NEVER advocate getting a dog for a child or teenager, the benefit of having a FAMILY dog is the unconditional love :)
true on the exercise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment