Thursday, February 23, 2012

Is being pregnant a health hazard for teenagers?

No, I'm NOT pregnant, but I was thinking about it eariler today and I was just wondering, is it hazardous to a teenagers, say between 13 and 17 to be pregnant since their bodies aren't mature yet?

Do the babies have health problems from it or are they smaller than they should be? Does the teen's body get too stressed from puberty AND carrying the child?

Just hungry for knowege, curious.Is being pregnant a health hazard for teenagers?I wouldn't say it's a health hazard, but it's definitely rougher on a growing body than a mature one. I was pregnant at 15, and the doc mentioned that calcium was a concern... as a growing teen, your bones and teeth need more calcium than an adult. Problem is, the baby needs it too. So, dental problems aren't unusual. Same goes for other nutrients. The doc recommended extra vitamins to help with that. Being a teenager is physically stressful, and so is carrying a baby, so it is a bit much to handle all at once. Not to mention the emotional and psychological aspects of it. In my case, the baby won. :-) I stopped growing, gained too much weight by trying to keep up with both mine and the baby's nutritional needs, had some problems with my teeth later on, but my son weighed in at 8 lbs 6 oz when he was born.Is being pregnant a health hazard for teenagers?
i dont know if the risks are higher for 13 to 17 year olds, but pregnancy can be a health hazard to anyone..... just depends on the state of the mothers health when she gets pregnant.Is being pregnant a health hazard for teenagers?Sometimes they can be smaller, but usually teen pregnancies turn out okay. I say 13 is way too young to have a kid, but it is not unsafe.
its probably more of a mental issueIs being pregnant a health hazard for teenagers?The risk of pre-eclampsia is higher for girls/women under 20 and women over 34.Is being pregnant a health hazard for teenagers?
Yes it can be dangerous, teen bodies are still growing and need plenty of nutrition without the extra nutritional needs of a growing baby. Many babies are born completely healthy to teen moms, but the moms can suffer
well it is more dangerous, but not really because of the reasons you thought of. stress is a factor, but so is diet(teens arent really known for their great eating habits) and lifestyle(exercise, drugs/alcohol/tobacco).



teens are also more likely to have prematurely born babies and birth complications.Is being pregnant a health hazard for teenagers?
I think as long as you have your period, then your body is mature enough to carry a healthy baby to full term. If your body is not mature enough then you wouldn't have your period. I wouldn't have a baby until you can financially afford one though.
duh!
well, yes. In a lot of cases in cause a lot of birth defects. Yea, I do beleive that it is unhealthy or atleast it isnt exactly healthy. I dont know if the body would be stressed but yes that would be major stress to have a baby along with dealing with peer pressure, making time to hang out with friends, family, schoolwork. it would be very hard on your body.
I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. Teens are still reaching full maturity; they need to be devoting all their energy to their own bodies. Forcing the body to create ANOTHER body is asking a lot of a physically immature system.
well, it depends because a teens body might not always be strong, mature, or big enough for a baby. a baby is a huge little thing to handle, and thats why i dont think teens are really able to hande it. i mean they can, but you never know if they could always get through it because it does a lot to the hormones and body and a teen still might not even be developed yet.
i was 17 when i had my first she was 8lbs+ i am a size 6 so she was not small was healthy i was actually found to be more healthy after than before having her i do get backache it is hard work when your young have to work like mad to keep yourselves going we are both happy an healthy now
Yes there are health risks involved to both the mother and baby when a teen gets pregnant.



Teens are not fully developed. They tend to have smaller hips and pelvic regions therefor there is a higher chance of the baby getting caught in the birth canal, causing a very radical c-section. A teen mother is 13 times more likely to have a low birth weight baby then that of a mother that is 23 and older. A teen mother is also 7 times more likely to deliver prematurely (before 37 weeks).



Babies that are born prematurely have a higher risk of complications. Problems breathing, under developed lungs, the inability to suckle, and immature organs are just a few of many complications that can arrise. A premature baby that is born before 36 weeks is 3 times more likely to contract RSV. RSV can be fatal for an immature infant.



These are just some of the things that I was able to find. Hope this was helpful.
From my understanding, biologically a girl is prepared to have a child once she is 14. There are more health risks in teenagers because they are less likely to eat well and abstain from illegal drugs. Also, many worry about gaining too much weight and of course, dieting and not eating enough during pregnancy is definitely not a good idea. Biologically women are meant to have children between the ages 16-33 or so, depending on the women. Risks develop for women over 35 and under 15.



P.S. I just wanted to add that I don't know about the whole pelvic region issue.... my husband was a nine pound baby born to a woman who weight 97 pounds and was beyond petite... perfectly health birth. My sister was 17 and 20 when she had her two children, and she was 105 pounds and was a size 00 normally, and her maternity clothes were my size two normal clothes, and she had both children naturally without a problem. One was 6 pounds 7 ounces, and the other was 7 pounds 6 ounces (might have been 7 pound 8 ounces but I can't quite remember).
No, it is not a health hazard...Some say it is better. I am not a teen pregnancy advocate by any means, but I was pregnant at 16 and my baby girl (which is now 11...whew how time flies...) is the best thing that ever happened to me. It was also, by far, my easiest pregnancy...I delivered her on her due date and I had very few pregnancy symptoms at all. I didn't even show until I was almost 8 months!!! I hope this helps.
I don't think so but it is a wealth hazard, do you know how much they cost to bring up?

No comments:

Post a Comment