Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I work in a behavioural health hospital, Child/adolescent unit. A gay teen asked me for coming out advice.?

He is bullied every day at school because he's gay. He is worried how to tell his family the reason why. I asked him if his family is religious. He told me they are 7th Day Adventist. I told him not say anything until he has a place to stay if he gets kicked out of his house. He told me that he does. I talked about this with a co worker about this because i am concerned that the Nurse Practitioner will tell his mother that he is sexually confused. the co-worked told me that i should have told the boy anything. I charted that he is anxious about his family finding out. my reasoning is that we have no business out a teenager to his or her family. what do you all think?I work in a behavioural health hospital, Child/adolescent unit. A gay teen asked me for coming out advice.?I am a troll and yet I think you are right. Your advice was wise and you should not be the ones to tell his family. He should, and only when he is ready.I work in a behavioural health hospital, Child/adolescent unit. A gay teen asked me for coming out advice.?If I was in your place, I would refer him to a gay support group in your area, but keep it quiet. They will have all the tools and knowledge to give him the information and support that he needs. As for his family, you have done the right thing.I work in a behavioural health hospital, Child/adolescent unit. A gay teen asked me for coming out advice.?The NP or anyone else should not tell the family anything. They would be breaking the patient confidentiality laws. Anything told to health care professionals by a patient cannot be told to someone else.I work in a behavioural health hospital, Child/adolescent unit. A gay teen asked me for coming out advice.?
Your intuition serves you well. To go around the child and tell the parents would be tantamount to violating the Prime Directive. I jest but this is true, unless he comes to you and asks for help, so be sure to make him aware that you are available. This is not an illness that the parents have the right to know. This is a boy who unfortunately has to reconcile his nature with a human society that is conditioned not to accept fellow humans who are like he is. This is not a behavioral disorder, this is natural. The rest of the world needs behavioral heath treatment for this, not him.

Hope this helped and thank you for reading the rant.



LiveLong%26amp;Prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment