Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I want to buy a new hand mixer for my mom which one should I get?

My mom said she wanted a new hand mixer, and I bought her this one a while ago: http://www.target.com/Oster-6-Speed-Hand-Mixer-2534/dp/B000CSWP76/sr=1-3/qid=1197788150/ref=sr_1_3/602-4658580-6589434?ie=UTF8%26amp;index=target%26amp;rh=k%3Aoster%20hand%20mixer%26amp;page=1 but she never uses it because the slowest speed is WAY too fast and splatters EVERYWHERE! So I want to get her one she'll actually use. I've read reviews online but I can't decide which one to buy. They all say they are either too fast on the slowest speed or the motors burn out if mixing anything thick. Anyone have any suggestions as to which one I should buy? She usually uses it for whipping cream, mashed potatoes and cookie dough. My price range is preferably $30-40, but I might be able to go to $50. Thanks!I want to buy a new hand mixer for my mom which one should I get?
America's Test Kitchen just rated the Kitchen-Aid hand held mixer #1, again. Their product reports are like Consumer's Reports, i.e. free of pressure from advertiser's. I have a Kitchen-Aid hand mixer that is almost 10 years old. It does fine on most cookie doughs, but during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season's when I do a lot of cookies I drag out the Kitchen-Aid stand mixer. No hand held mixer will tolerate too many seasons if used for several dozens of batches of cookies every year. The hand held is excellent w/ lighter tasks such as whipping potatoes and will do so for years. Unfortunately the Kitchen-Aid hand held is $50 +, unless you can catch it on-sale at a big box store like Costco or Sam's Club.



The less expensive hand held mixers rely on RPMs for power. This means that on the slow speed it is too fast for light tasks such as whipping cream, and that they will bog down, and may burn up, on cookie doughs. Sunbeam %26amp; Black %26amp; Decker have fair models in your price range.



So it seems it may be best to let her struggle along w/ what she has until you can save for a Kitchen-Aid hand held or better yet for the Kitchen-Aid stand mixer. The stand mixer will last her life time, and probaly yours too, even if used daily for cookie dough.
Kitchen Aid also makes a hand mixer.I've had mine for years and it has a strong motor.Perfect for what your mom would like to use it for.I want to buy a new hand mixer for my mom which one should I get?
get her a cuisinart or a kitchen aid - they're the most reliable
Sorry to say that they all have the same problem that you listed above. I recommend saving up money till Mother's Day so you can buy her a real mixer. If you just can't swing that, buy her a set of nice stainless steel mixing bowls and a couple of different whisks and rubber spatulas. That will provide her with the proper tools to mix anything she want to properly.I want to buy a new hand mixer for my mom which one should I get?
go to www.kitchen aid .com they have a pay pal thing where if you qualify you can make payments on a stand mixer. maybe mom or dad could be you co-signer if you need them. i love my stand mixer .i use it all of the time. mine came with a dough hook, wire whisk beater, and a free accessory by mail .
I would get her a 50 dollar gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond and a card. Then she can go and get just what she wants.



Keep in mind that all hand mixers are going to have a short life if used frequently. I have gone through several in my 30 years of cooking. It was not until I broke down and got my KitchenAid that I got a good mixer. I agree with the first person about saving up for a Stand Mixer from Kitchenaid for Mom's Day or even for Christmas next year. Get her the gift card this year and then start saving for a KitchenAid. They last so long, you will be using it long after she is gone.
Check these and read user reviews .. You may find the one you are looking for ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q4I鈥?/a>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HTN鈥?/a>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y6鈥?/a>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006TN鈥?/a>

Good Luck!
  • barometer
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment